Friday, April 6, 2012

MWS (Media Withdrawal Syndrome)



Last Wednesday I slept over at my parents' place. They're currently away on holidays. On the days I wasn't working I was going to do my sister a favor by dropping off my youngest nephew at the bus stop in the morning for school.

Normally she drops him off at their place on her way to work at around 7:45 a.m. and they walk him to the bus stop at 8:15. For me to get to my parents' place in time I'd have to leave my condo before 7:15. So, instead of doing that, I figured I'd sleep over.

One thing I don't like about staying over at my parents' place is that, for me, there's nothing to do. They don't have a computer and only basic cable. So there's no e-mail, no chatting, no Facebook, no Discovery Channel, TSN or much of anything else. I'm devoid of all outside contact. It's like be stuck in the wilderness with nothing to do except ponder the meaning of your own existence.

I did a few Sudoku puzzles they had lying around from the free papers they pick up. I listened to the news on the radio for a short time. I considered reading a book that was sitting on the coffee table about living with cancer. But, instead, I turned on the TV and watched soccer on Sports Net then caught the news on CTV. I have to tell you I really don't like watching soccer. But, with little else on that's how desperate I was.

It's weird how alone you feel in situations like this. When you're so used to being connected electronically to the world around you. It's funny to see how we've become so conditioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment