Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Earth Hour 2012



I went to Earth Hour at the Distillery District this past Saturday (March 31st). It's an annual event that's held in many cities around the world. For a one hour period participants are supposed to turn all their lights off to promote climate change awareness.

I've attended the event here in Toronto a few times. It seems like the venue is getting smaller each time. In 2008 it was held at Nathan Phillips Square at Toronto City Hall. In 2010 they downsized to Yonge-Dundas Square. And now, in 2012, they've shrunk it again. And, no disrespect to the performer, Andrew Huang, but I've never heard of him before.

I walked down and back. It made more sense than driving. I figure that would have left a larger carbon footprint than leaving all my lights on for an hour at my condo. I supposed I could have taken the TTC, but I didn't. According to Google maps the trek was 8.2 kms each way. Not bad, eh?

After the event I hung around a little longer and took some more pictures around the area. You can see them on my Flickr.com page.

I noticed the city did look darker on my way walking back up Yonge Street. I was encouraged by that. Even though it looks like interest in the event is waning enough people and businesses still showed spirit and shut their lights off. I heard on the news that usage was down compared to last year, so that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment