Monday, April 2, 2012

Allan Gardens



I went to Allan Gardens last Sunday after church. It's been quite a long time since I last visited, so I thought I'd go have a look.

I remember the last time I went it was to try a "new" used film camera body I bought to replace an old one that I got wet when I went canoeing at Algonquin Park. That was probably sometime in the mid-90's I'm guessing.

This time I went to do the same thing–take photos. This time with my current camera a Canon 20D (which itself is somewhat dated since I bought it in 2006).

Allan Gardens is located between Carlton Street to the north, Gerrard Street to the south and Jarvis Street to the west and Sherbourne Street to the east. If you take the TTC you can get off at College Station on the Yonge subway line, walk east on Carlton and pick up some snacks at the newly opened Loblaws (formerly Maple Leaf Gardens) along the way.

From their website:

Allan Gardens Conservatory is over 100 years old with a garden-filled greenhouse that covers over 16,000 square feet. This garden is open to the public year-round. It contains tropical plants from all over the world from palm trees to cacti. There are also seasonal plantings throughout the year.

I have to say I don't remember too much about that previous trip I took. But, I somehow thought the place was bigger than it turned out to be. If you were to walk straight through all the greenhouses without stopping you could probably do it in 10-15 minutes tops.

Of course, if you were like me, and you liked taking pictures... well it would take you much longer. And, for me, that was the case. I took a long, long time. But, I think I got some good shots, so that's what was important.

On my way out I bumped into an old friend from church, Phyllis Chong. She was visiting with two of her friends. I hadn't seen her since the mid to late 90's. She's now attending The Stone Church on Davenport.

Unfortunately they arrived as the Conservatory was closing. So, for them, they'll have to come another time to view the plants they have there.

No comments:

Post a Comment