Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Livia was the only girl. Again.



This is the 25th anniversary of our class' graduation from Don Mills Collegiate Institute. Can you believe it? It's been 25 years since we finished high school.

In honour of that momentous occasion I thought it would be nice to gather a few of my classmates up and go out for dinner. Many of us reacquainted ourselves with one another two years ago at our school's 50th anniversary. So I had a few e-mail addresses on hand. I also posted an event notice on Facebook and told people to try to contact a few others.

Alas (as you can see), the turn out wasn't too good. One friend, Vince, had an emergency babysitting assignment. His wife had taken ill and he had to look after his two girls. I figured they were old enough to take care of themselves, but he had to bow out in the end. Other people had previous engagements. This being summer, that's predictable. In general, people plan a lot more events then. Also, I didn't give people much notice. Maybe 4-6 weeks?

So we had six people show up - Dan, Andrew, Brent, Manuel, Livia and myself. As was the case the first time we met up (two years ago) Livia was the only girl. Though, truth be told, she wasn't the only girl to express interest. She was just the only one who was available.

Dinner was good. We met at Jack Astor's at the Shops at Don Mills. It's the local mall close to where our high school is (still) located. It was nice to see everyone again and catch up on what's happened over the past couple of years. I think I'm the only one who's gone through a major career change. From working in production at Trader Corporation to driving a delivery van once a week. I have to say, I've taken a liking to semi-retirement. It suits me well.

Anyway, I'm going to try to arrange another dinner in the not too distant future. Perhaps in the late summer/early fall. Hopefully peoples' schedules will have opened up a bit and they'll be able to come out this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment