Friday, June 24, 2011

IKEA - New Toronto tourist attraction?



Iris and Tony's friend, Jinny, revisited Toronto for the first time in seven years. She's in town for their second wedding. This time Iris' parents and brother will be in town to witness it.

Since I have a lot of free time on my hands I was charged with being tour guide again. Like I mentioned above Jinny lived here seven years ago. She was studying in Toronto for six months, so she's had the chance to see some things already.

Normally I take visitors to the Distillery District, to the Beaches, Eaton Centre, Yonge/Dundas Square, City Hall, along Queen West, Kensington Market and Chinatown. This time we did something different. Jinny wanted to go to IKEA.

On the way up from Tony and Iris' place I detoured through the Bridle Path and Shops at Don Mills. I thought Jinny might like to see them.

After that we did make it to IKEA. It's been quite awhile since I've been there. They're redeveloping with quite a few condos in the immediate area. I almost couldn't find my way into the parking lot. We were there for quite a bit of time. Jinny was looking for some bedding items both for herself and Tony and Iris. By the time we finished it was after 2:00 p.m and we were hungry.

We went into the cafeteria in IKEA, but things didn't look so hot there. So I suggested going back to Don Mills to go to Congee Queen. Jinny liked that idea. She hadn't had congee in awhile and wanted to order some. As well as the chicken and duck congee we had shredded meat chow mein (chicken, pork and other stuff) and beef chung fun (rice rolls). Mmm.

After lunch Jinny wanted to check out her old neighbourhood of Yonge and Finch. Just to see what sort of changes there were. Unfortunately rush hour was all but upon us. We tried to head back south, but were stuck on Yonge for such a long time. So annoying.

We had pretty much no choice, but to sit it out. I made the decision to head over to Bayview Village in search of a Tim Hortons. Unfortunately our luck didn't change. No Timmies. But, there was a Timothy's so that's where we went. It cost me over $5 for a cold, caffeinated beverage. By the time 6:00 came round we attempted to drive back down to Tony and Iris' place again. This time the traffic was lighter thankfully.

When we got there Tony and Iris had just about finished preparing dinner. We ate together with them and Iris' parents. Tomorrow I'm planning on taking them to St. Jacobs. They have a farmers market there. Let's hope the rain stops by the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment