Thursday, June 2, 2011

2011 Doors Open Toronto Pt. I



I went to Door Open Toronto again this past Saturday. I enjoy going. There are a lot of neat buildings here to take photos of. I wish I had a bit more time, but, unfortunately, I could only go one out of the two days it was on.

It took me a little while to plan my route. I took the subway to Union Station and started there. From there I went across the street to the Fairmount Royal York. It wasn't actually one of the Doors Open sites, but it was nearby, so I dropped by anyway.

The next stop, 401 Wellington Street West, Stantec Architecture (which was formerly the McGregor Socks Factory) was my first official Doors Open stop. This was one place I've been interested in seeing in previous years, but never got around to it.

(From the 2011 Doors Open Toronto site) Formerly the McGregor Sock Factory, the Stantec Toronto Studio is located in the historic Garment District at the corner of Spadina Avenue and Wellington Street West. Originally constructed in 1905, the timber post and beam building offers the perfect opportunity to reclaim, transform and recycle a piece of the city’s industrial heritage.

Stantec's architects and engineers designed a flexible, high-quality workspace that fosters collaboration, innovation, sustainable design excellence and our commitment to city building. The retrofit gives back to the city; economically, environmentally and culturally. With that in mind, the original retail entrance is reconceived as a public contemporary art gallery, in support of public art in the city.

The LEED®-CI Gold environmental agenda was achieved through a variety of methods including: indirect and low wattage task lighting, daylight and occupancy sensors, low flow showers, solar powered faucets, dual flush toilets, efficient underfloor air distribution and a number of green materials including the use of reclaimed 400-year old pine from Toronto’s Queen’s Wharf to create a feature screen.

Next stop on my route was Hotel Victoria on 56 Yonge Street (at Wellington).

(From the 2011 Doors Open Toronto site) The Hotel Victoria constructed in 1909 during the Edwardian period began its illustrious life as the Hotel Mossop. It was the first completely fireproof building ever in Toronto erected after the great fire of 1904 that levelled most of the surrounding landmarks.

The hotel's charm and intimate embellishments make it a welcome respite for the weary traveler; having gone through a complete renovation. The hotel has maintained its delineation as a heritage property but, with an enhanced contemporary look. The new sleek and elegant lobby and warm updated rooms feature a mix of classic and designed furnishings.

I went to the nearby King Edward Hotel at 37 King Street East (just east of Yonge) after. I should have read the description in the paper before I went. The website surely didn't shed any light on what they offered for people to view. It was just the 17th floor of the hotel which is currently under renovation. It's the former grand ballroom I believe. I didn't think it was that interesting. Certainly not worth waiting in line for (which I did).

(From the 2011 Doors Open Toronto site) Built in the French Renaissance style in 1903, Le Méridien King Edward is the first luxury hotel in Toronto and has played host to past kings and modern royalty. Step through the door and you will be returned to old world traditions and comforts with the lobby’s large marble columns, bright skylight and warm artful décor.

No comments:

Post a Comment