Monday, May 18, 2015

The New Rancho Relaxo/Cantina


After volunteering at the Scott Mission I went to dinner with Will, Steve and Lawrence. It was sort of a late birthday dinner for me. I suggested going to the nearby Rancho Relaxo which I really liked.

When we got there it looked totally different. They had renovated the restaurant to look more upscale. As well, the menu was revised to reflect the new decor. It was slicker and slightly pricer with less choice. Boo.

Gone were a lot of the traditional Mexican dishes such as fajitas, the pescado de Corona (grouper with avocado mousse) or my favourite steak enchiladas with refried beans. They were replaced with trendy, decidedly non-Mexican fare such as Ratatouille, Gnocchi, Seafood Ravioli and New York Strip Steak.

William and I had the hybrid Enfrijoladas which was sort of like steak enchilada, only with mushrooms instead of steak; Lawrence had the soup of the day and a couple of rather small tacos; and Steve had a variety of four small tacos too (at a rather exorbitant price of $4 each). It was pretty food, but not so filling.

I miss the old Rancho Relaxo with the tacky decor, friendly staff, yummy food and generous portions. And all a very reasonable prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment