Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Knox OOTC Volunteer Dinner


Another year has come and gone at the Out of the Cold program at Knox. I'm proud to say this is my 9th year volunteering. I believe I started in the 2005/6 season (the same time Melinda started). Besides the organizers, Vicki and Bill, I think Pat is one of the only guys who's served longer than us.

Returning again this year was Joe. He's been a tremendous help scrubbing the pots and pans for the past three or four years. Young Wha didn't come as often this year. I brought my nephew, Avery, out to fill her role putting the clean dishes away. He did a great job.

Sam came a couple of times. He's almost finished law school. Ken was pretty regular. He normally helps with food prep, but comes by to drop off dinner (which is greatly appreciated).

Paul and Tomoko brought their kids out again too. Jack (aka Chopper) helped Avery put the dishes away and Midori helped me load the dishwasher.

It seems like the faces change a little each year. Next year Young Wha will be gone. She's going to work in the U.S. I believe. We'll miss her.

The volunteer dinner was slightly smaller than in past years. Most of the core group was there. Though I was the only person from the dishwashing crew to show up. Joe had to attend some sort of function with his wife (I can't remember what). Avery was too shy to come because no one else his age went.

... Until next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment