Thursday, June 21, 2012

Car "Shopping"


I went car "shopping" last week with one of my friends just for fun. We were just looking for an activity to kill some time on a Saturday afternoon.

I thought we would start at the Toyota/Scion dealership on Steeles Avenue a bit east of the 404. I was interested in seeing both the Toyota Prius C and new Scion FR-S there.

The C is the smallest version of the three Prius models. It's great on gas, but a tad too small as far as I'm concerned. The standard Prius, while a decent size, is pretty ugly looking. The V is the largest one. It looks reasonably good, gets good gas mileage, but is probably too large for my needs.

I sat in a few Scion models while I was there too - the iQ, xD and tC. The iQ is the smallest one. You could compare it to the Smart Fortwo. It is tiny. If you never had any passengers or never had to go buy groceries or anything it would be a fun car to putt around the city in. I never actually considered buying this car. My friend and I just sat in it because we wanted somewhere to sit while discussing what we were going to do next (after we left the dealership).

The xD is about the size of a Volkswagen Golf. According to the Scion website it starts at a very reasonable $17,280. But, being a Scion (which is like a poor man's Toyota) the interior finish seems a little chintzy. You get what you pay for.

The tC, starting at $20,940, was pretty sporty looking. The interior space was good too - both for the passengers sitting in the front and back seats.

Still the only Scion I really find appealing is the new FR-S, starting at $25,990 manual and $27,170 automatic. It's super sexy. They didn't have any in the showroom. But, my friend and I saw one in the parking lot as we were leaving. A couple of guys had just come back from a test drive and parked it there. It looks amazing.

Toyota and Subaru collaborated on this new car and came out with similarly styled models. There are a few slight differences in styling. But, as the Subaru salesman we talked to later in the day explained, the biggest differences were in the tuning and interior finish. He claimed the Subaru's were higher quality.

Following our trip to the Toyota/Scion dealership we went next door to the Lexus lot. There was only one car there I was somewhat interested in - the CT 200h (2012 model starting at $30,950). It's a hybrid. A few thousand dollars more expensive than the comparably sized Prius with fuel consumption rate slightly higher. But it's a Lexus which is considerably more luxurious.

After that we headed to Yonge and Steeles to check out the Acura dealership. There weren't any cars I was really interested in seeing there. But, we had some time to kill and couldn't think of anywhere else to go.

My friend thought the RDX, starting at $41,000 (according to the sales person), looked nice. A couple I know have one. It's a nice looking vehicle. Though the new one is larger than the older model. Too big as far as I'm concerned.

I sat in the TSX, starting at $31,890. It's a handsome 4-door sedan. I'd never seriously consider it though. For the same price I'd rather have the fuel concious CT 200h or sporty Subaru BRZ... which brings us to our final dealership... The Subaru dealership on Yonge (south of Drewry).

There were a couple of cars there I was interested in seeing - the Impreza, starting at $20,895 or $22,1950 for the automatic, and the new, flashy BRZ, starting at $27,295 or $28,495 for the automatic.

I have to say, the base Impreza is kind of plain looking. The Touring or Sport Package will set you back $23,895 and $26,095 respectively (for the automatic models).

So you have a conundrum... the Subaru Impreza with Sport Package for $26,095, the BRZ for $28,495 or the Lexus CT 200h for $30,950.

The Impreza with automatic transmission (CVT - continuously variable transmission) uses 7.5/5.5 litres/100 km city/highway. The 5-door model I'm interested in is very practical.

The BRZ has no fuel consumption numbers available on the Subaru Canada website. It's just a sexy beast.

The Lexus CT 200h only comes in an "automatic" version. Out of the three cars it has the best fuel economy using 4.5/4.8 litres/100 km city/highway. Yes, it uses less fuel in the city which is backwards compared to typical gas engines. That's because the electric engine is in use at slower speeds (in the city) so it uses less fuel then.

On top of the base price for all the cars you have to add between $1,500-$2,000 for delivery (which I find is ridiculous). Do we pay 79¢/lb for bananas plus 20¢ for delivery? Why not be upfront with your pricing and include all the charges?

When you add the HST and all other fees expect your bill to balloon to $5,000-$7,000 more than the base amount.

I'm not considering buying any time soon. My current car is still in reasonable condition. I plan on holding onto it until it's not worth the upkeep. Only at that time should I consider looking into one of these other cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment