Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Boarding Home Visits


I've been visiting the Boarding Home on Tyndall Avenue for at least 12 years now. I started going soon after the founder of Boarding Home Ministries, Rodger Hunter, came to our church to speak. Four of us, Debbie, Richard, Armin and I decided we'd like to join him in his visits.

Over the years the faces at the home have changed, both for the residents and the volunteers. Currently I'm the only person from our church that goes. I believe there are only around 4-5 residents out of the original 30-something who are still there from when I first started as well.

I've had a chance to meet a lot of cool individuals. They like chatting with us and munching on the snacks we bring on our bi-weekly visits. On special occasions like Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving/our yearly anniversary Rodger will order in a meal for dinner. We've had everything from KFC and Swiss Chalet to Chinese and Greek food.

We're making a small difference in people lives, just like they're making a difference in ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment