Saturday, June 9, 2012

2012 Doors Open Toronto Part I



On Saturday, May 26th I made my annual pilgrimage to see the various buildings open for Doors Open Toronto. It's something I like to do every year if I have the time. This year I had eight buildings on my list.

I started with the Princess of Wales Theatre at 300 King Street West (a few blocks west of University Avenue). It's a building I'm sure many Torontonians have gone to before. Since I'm not one to see plays or musicals I have to say, I'm not one of them. The only opportunity I get to see the insides of most theatres is during events like this.

Unfortunately, they had the same ridiculous policy as the Canadian Opera Company at the Four Season Centre for the Performing arts - you could take pictures anywhere in the facility, but the auditorium (where the performances are held).

That's pretty much the only area in the building worth shooting. So I was quite disappointed in that. When they mentioned photography was permitted, they forgot to say everywhere, but the auditorium.

Next I headed to the John Street Roundhouse at 255 Bremner Boulevard, just south of Rogers Centre. That was another big disappointment. I had gone there in previous years, but the place was a mess. I believe I heard it was restored, so I was looking forward to getting some better shots.

Well, what I forgot, this time, was that they turned most of the roundhouse into a Leons Furniture store. There was only one small section for the railway museum squeezed in between that and the Steamwhistle Brewery facilities.

After that I headed south to 60 Harbour Street to see the Toronto Harbor Commission (located west of Bay Street and just north of Lakeshore Boulevard. It's a Beaux-Arts style building, built in 1917. It's been the headquarters of the Toronto Harbour Commission (now Toronto Port Authority) since 1918.

It's a really neat building. The lobby is small, but elegant looking. And the boardroom on the second floor looks wonderful finished in rich, warm wood. But, they ruined the front of it by putting up an awning for the restaurant occupying the main floor and basement. It definitely looks out of place.

My next destination was One King West Hotel & Residence (which is located appropriately enough at 1 King Street West). Before I made it there I decided I'd go into the Hotel Victoria located at 56 Yonge Street, right next door. It was built in 1909, and constructed as Toronto's first fireproof building after the Great Fire of 1904.

I had gone into the Hotel Victoria before and it was pretty much the same this time. You could access the lobby and room 302. Though I think I got some better shots of the lobby.

Built in 1914 the Dominion Bank called 1 King West it's home. In 2006 redevelopment was completed and a modern hotel and condo complex was added atop the original 12-storey structure.

While some areas of the former bank have been repurposed the original 40-ton steel door to the bank vault still remains. The Grand Banking Hall has been turned into a dining hall as well.

To be continuted...

No comments:

Post a Comment