Wednesday, June 13, 2012

2012 Doors Open Toronto Part II


After visiting One King West I headed over to the Canada Life building at 330 University Avenue (at Queen Street West). It's another building I was looking forward to seeing. I have to say I was a bit disappointed with it too.

There were only two areas open to the public - the lobby, which was lovely, and the 17th floor observation room that provides a panoramic view of downtown Toronto. At 276 feet, it was the tallest building on University Avenue when completed on March 16, 1931.

Following the Canada Life building I headed up St. George Street to the Robarts Library in the heart of University of Toronto downtown campus. The Thomas Fisher Rare Book Library is located there.

The Library holds 700,000 volumes and 3000 linear metres of manuscripts and reflects the wide diversity of research conducted at the University of Toronto.

Just up the street at 111 Queens Park is the Gardiner Museum. It showcases ceramic arts from around the world. It was originally designed by Keith Wagland in 1984. In 2006 a third floor was added. I had come here before, but this was the first time photography was permitted inside. So I was pleased about that.

Finally I ended the day with the Church of the Redeemer at 162 Bloor Street West. It was another place I had visited previously, only at Nuit Blanche. It's nearby the Gardiner Museum. That's the main reason I revisited it.

Built in 1878 the exterior of Church of the Redeemer is clad in rough stone while the interior features polychrome yellow brick with a banding of orange brick in geometric patterns. The stained glass windows depict Biblical scenes.

All in all the day was fine. There were some disappointments, yes. But, I also saw some really neat architecture. And that's what I really love about Doors Open. It gives you the opportunity to see a part of Toronto you might not otherwise get to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment