Monday, March 28, 2011

Comments about Earth Hour

Nathan Philips Square - Earth Hour 2009

I was on the 680 News website reading an item about Earth Hour. There were some reader comments (particularly the first one) that made no sense to me at all. I'll post them here -

I still don't see how one day changes anything .. I still have to pay exorbitant Hydro bills - so like whatevs! In fact I'll be turning on all my lights and so are a few of my neighbors actually - so in your face Earth Day!
• Josh
• Mar 22, 2011 5:06 PM

lets all participate
A good way to past the time for the hour with no lights is flashlight tag with your kids
• Ben
• Mar 22, 2011 12:26 PM

I'm In!
Funny thing is that I bet more than 10% of RESIDENTIAL homes participated. Its the business' that eat up our power but its the residential homes that have to pay for it!
• Alex
• Mar 22, 2011 12:06 PM

dangerous
This event sounds dangerous, I’ll just leave my lights on thank you.
• Stevie
• Mar 22, 2011 12:02 PM

I think some of the people have the wrong idea about Earth Hour. It's not about them and saving them money, but about benefitting our community as a whole. The idea is to raise awareness about energy conservation to help reduce the damage we're doing to our planet. It's a symbolic gesture to remind us of that.

Hopefully we'll continue to look for ways to cut down on usage on an ongoing basis, not just for one day. And we shouldn't just look to cut back on Hydro usage, but on all non-renewable resources. For instance, walk 20 minutes to the corner store to pick up a carton of milk instead of driving. We all have to play our part if we want to leave this planet in livable conditions for future generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment