Monday, January 24, 2011

Rest in Peace Mary



I'm deeply saddened to report the passing of dear friend, Mary Ko Bong, at age 93. I received an e-mail from my friend Tony Lai informing me of the news this morning. I'll re-post it here so you can see the details.

Dear Elders and friends

I regret to inform you of the passing of Mary Ko Bong. She was found this morning outside her apartment by a neighbour. I'm afraid I have little information at the present time.

I would be grateful if you would ensure all the relevant CPC people are informed. I'm thinking of people like Elizabeth Kwan (?) Anna Lee (?) and Alice Yeh.

We all knew Mary as a fiercely independent woman, who knew what she wanted and constantly reached for those things and rose to all sorts of challenges and survived the impossible. May she rest in peace, freed from the frustrating infirmities of recent years. Sadly for many of us but perhaps better for her I like to think she can dance her ballet and flamenco again, sing her heart out, and now do the arts and crafts she loved and even learn a few more.

Tony

My friend Daphne and I just visited Mary less than two weeks ago. We had a wonderful talk with her in her little basement apartment. We had seen her photos with her and her father and brothers in uniform and I wanted to go back and take a few pictures of her in them. She served in the Second World War and still had three uniforms in her closet.

Daphne was just out recently looking to buy her a winter coat too. When we were getting ready to leave Mary commented that she liked Daphne's coat. So Daphne went out looking, but couldn't find her size yet. She was planning on going again today after work.

We'll miss you and your wonderful stories Mary. I hope you're in heaven now smiling down on us ~

No comments:

Post a Comment