Sunday, January 30, 2011

Eyes of Hope - Umbrellas



These umbrellas had been displayed at the U of T's SKULE (engineering department) Arts Festival at 40 St. George Street. Along with artwork from some of the other students there, the exhibition ran for one week between Monday, January 24th and Friday, January 28th, 2011.

The umbrellas were painted by some of the youths who attend the Out of the Cold program at Knox Presbyterian Church on Tuesday evenings during the winter.

I'll retype what's printed on the paper on the easel telling more about the project:

University of Toronto - Eyes of Hope

Eyes of Hope started the new school year with a fresh and exciting project to connect with the homeless youth in the Toronto community. Since November 2010, Eyes of Hope has been organizing umbrella painting sessions through the Out of the Cold Program at Knox Church every Tuesday night.

The sessions provide a platform for both the university students and the homeless youth to engage in a shared interest in the arts. Through this program, the club hope that the youth will feel more included in our society.

Now, Eyes of Hope would like to take this opportunity to share this hope and friendship with you!

The following are thoughts left by some of the youth from the program:

"I'm 30-years-old and I come and volunteer at the Knox drop-in on Tuesdays. I really like to be creative, so when the students came from U of T I was very excited. I did a flower because I think it represents friendship. I also have two types of ADHD and being creative is what calms me down not have scary thoughts. Thanks for coming. I hope we get to meet soon"

- Traci Noble

"The measure of a man is what he does with Power" - Plato

- Delano Grant

4 comments:

  1. A friend of mine who is a painter and a teacher has been doing similar activities with his students. He let his students docorate the umbrellas and hang them in the air in his school. Charm ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I'm sure the umbrellas his students paint look wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently became a regular subscriber to your blog. And I really like your writing and pictures. Thanks for sharing your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'm glad you like it. It's a bit of working trying to find things to write about all the time. But, it's good for me. I see this as bit of a diary or journal... something that details what I've been up to or things I'm thinking about. So it's good for me too.

    ReplyDelete