Thursday, January 13, 2011

Visiting Mary



Daphne and I went to visit Mary from my church yesterday. The weather hasn't been that great lately and we figure Mary could use some groceries and some company. It's been cold and it snowed a few times making it difficult to get around. Mary is 93 after all and is a little on the fragile side. Daphne has been shopping with Mary before so she knew what sort of food she likes. So, earlier in the day, she went out and bought some stuff and brought it down.

We had a nice visit. After first arriving Daphne put everything away in Mary's refrigerator. Mary was already watching some TV. She doesn't have cable and the channel she was watching was flickering a bit. So, I tuned it by turning a few knobs one way or another. The Big Bang Theory was on on CTV. It's a popular sitcom.

Mary's friend Valerie had given her a few shots she took at our friends' (Tony and Iris) wedding. We took a look through them. We also saw some shots around Mary's place of her and her dad and three of her brothers. They were in uniform having served in the Canadian military back in World War II. Mary still has three uniforms. One is for summer, one for winter... I forgot what the other one is for. I said I'd bring my camera next time to take photos of her in them.

Mary also showed us some of her soapstone carvings. She has a few wrapped up. At one point she joined a group once a month to do carvings. I can't remember if she's currently going or not. The picture above is one of her carvings of a fish.

As usual, Mary told us a lot of stories about her life growing up. Like my dad, she attended Central Tech. I don't know what my dad took there. Mary said she took a 2-year watchmaking course.

Mary told us more about her life out in Victoria, B.C. We had heard some of it before. She may have been one of the youngest of seven siblings. Her brothers and sisters were kind of mean to her because she was the littlest. They picked on her and made her do most of the chores like chopping kindling and doing laundry. A lot of things were done by hand back then. Poor Mary.

Anyway, we stayed kind of late, until ten to eleven. I thought Mary went to bed earlier, but I guess not. She didn't seem sleepy or anything. It was nice chatting with her again. I'm sure she enjoyed it as much as we did. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment