Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Yonge Sushi


I went to Yonge Sushi with Lawrence on Saturday. It's just over 3 kilometres from my place up Yonge in between Lawrence and York Mills. A 40-minute walk.

Though I've driven it many, many times, it was the first time I've walked that stretch. There are actually a lot of nice restaurants and other establishments in the area. I had no idea.

I picked this particular all-you-can-eat restaurant because it's a little less expensive than Echo Sushi which is much closer to me. Yonge Sushi is $21.99 for dinner while Echo is $24.99 (including a $2.00 surcharge for Friday-Sundays & holidays).

Yonge Sushi isn't very big. They have, perhaps, seating for 40. As usual, I got there earlier than Lawrence. He's coming from Etobicoke though. But I walked. So it should have evened out.

Like last time I ordered ahead of time. I wanted to order a selection of rolls, sushi and sashimi that would look nice for photos. Lawrence usually orders a hodge-podge of things that aren't particularly aesthetically pleasing.

The servers were nice. Quite attentive until it got busier. Then they were running from table to table taking and filling orders.

The food was good. Normally you can't go wrong with raw fish. My first order consisted of the usual salmon and tuna sashimi; salmon, tuna, egg, shrimp and eel sushi; and a caterpillar and rainbow roll. It was followed by more of the same with a different selection of rolls thrown in for good measure.

The dessert selection was limited at ice cream, ice cream and more ice cream. One flavour they had that not many places have is ginger. I believe I've only gone to one other Japanese restaurant with ginger flavoured ice cream. So, of course, I ordered a scoop of that along with red bean.

A nice surprise was the fact they give you a 10% discount if you pay cash. So our bill was around $20 each plus tax and tip ($26.00). Not bad. Not bad at all.
_____________________________

Note: I went back to here for lunch on a Friday. It's a dollar more Friday through Sunday at $14.99. And there's no 10% cash discount at lunchtime for some reason. The lunch menu is much smaller with way less selection. For these reasons I'd only suggest going for dinner if you're looking for a good deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment