Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Good-Bye A&W Man


After returning from the exercise room at my condo last Monday I found roommate #2 sitting on the sofa listening to classical music with puffy, red eyes.

He told me he had just returned from going to the bank machine at the corner of Yonge and Eglinton. While there he saw a note taped to the side of the building with a number of bouquets of flowers.

The note told of the recent passing of Mark Henderson, a fixture at that corner who stood passing out coupons for the local A&W restaurant. It was posted by the Toronto Running Club of which Mark was a member.

While neither of us knew Mark well, my roommate often took coupons from him because he thought it would help him earn more money. He had no intention of using them. Instead he brought them to work to hand out to customers who came in there.

He was struck by the briefness of life and how it could be snatched away at any time with little or no warning. It's especially true in light of recent tragic events in Paris, Beirut and Mali.

It was a shock to me as well, since I had only seen Mark the day before he passed away on my way to the library. Of course it was at the corner of Yonge and Eglinton. We were both walking across the street.

Mark, I hope you're in a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment