Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Ex_Machina


I just saw Ex_Machina with one of my friends. I had a 2-for-1 movie coupon from my sister that was expiring soon, so we decided to use it.

I have to say, I haven't really been keeping up with the latest releases. I saw an ad or two for this movie and checked the reviews on Rotten Tomatoes and it came quite highly recommended.

I didn't know much about the plot either. But that's a good thing. I find, now-a-days, that commercials and trailers reveal far too much about a film before you even get to the theatre. That completely ruins things. I like to be surprised.

The movie is a science fiction thriller of the interaction between three characters - two humans, Caleb Smith (Domhnall Gleeson) and Nathan Bateman (Oscar Isaac) and an intensely beautiful A.I., Ava, (Alicia Vikander) created by Bateman.

It's set in Batemen's gorgeous home/research centre on a stunning, but nameless island. He's the eccentric genius behind a highly successful internet company and Ava is his new project. Caleb, a programmer at the company, has been called in to "run tests".

There are twists and there are turns. You never know who to fully trust. And that could mean the difference between life and death, and freedom and imprisonment.

There are no explosions, no mayhem, no chase scenes or million dollar special effects. Instead the characters talk. They interact together intelligently. And that's wonderfully refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment