Friday, September 5, 2014

Mousecapades


I went to Congee Queen for dinner with my friend Daphne after work. Neither of us were really hungry. We just ordered the Minced Beef Rice Noodle Roll (appetizer) and the Curried Beef Brisket on Rice. As well Daphne ordered the Black Glutenous Rice with Coconut Milk (if I'm not mistaken) for dessert.

After we ate I suggested we go for a walk on the nearby trail off Lawrence that runs parallel with Leslie Street. It was a former railway line.

The trail (Leside Spur Trail) actually isn't very long - only about 1.4 kilometres south from Lawrence before it hits a dead end and you have to turn back. It's all right. We just needed to get a bit of fresh air.

A few weeks ago I had taken my nephews along the trail on their bikes. We saw a baby cardinal. It couldn't really fly. It was just hopping around a bit. I think it had a problem with one of its eyes too.

This time, at the beginning/end of the trail, we found a baby mouse. It was so young its eyes weren't even open yet. It was sitting on the trail near the side (but still enough in the middle to risk getting squished by someone who wasn't looking where he was going).

We approached it slowly trying not to scare it so we could grab some pictures. Poor thing seemed kind of scared. It didn't move a muscle as we got closer and closer. Soon I was able to go up and gently pet it. I'm sure it freaked him out even more.

Eventually we guided him off the path so no one would inadvertently step on him and we went on our way.

No comments:

Post a Comment