Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Clandestinos by Shalak


A beautiful mural recently went up on the Kinton Ramen building next to our church. I was taking some pictures of it after service on Sunday when the building owner came up and started talking with me.

He told me a bit about the mural and how it came to be. I guess he had had a bit of a problem with graffiti and tagging and received some tickets because of it.

Because he received them he was qualified to apply to the City of Toronto for a permit for a mural to be done. As well the City would pay for all the paint used.

They had a selection of artists for consideration. The owner said he interviewed a few of them and decided on a young, Chilean-Canadian woman named Shalak.

As for the subject matter I believe he suggested she include a dragon and a lady in it. I guess everything else was up to her. As well, nothing commercial, like the name of a store or business, can be included in the mural.

Shalak completed the mural in 4-1/2 days (which I thought was incredibly quick). The owner mentioned she put in pretty long hours though.

He also said a lot of the drivers who use the laneway were annoyed that it was closed off for a few days. It meant they had to drive in and back out onto McCaul Street instead of coming out onto Baldwin.

I was kind of curious about how much he paid to have it done, but I didn't ask him.

No comments:

Post a Comment