Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Camping in Tobermory Pt. 2


We arrived back at our campsite from the hike quite late at night. I believe it was between 9:30 and 10:00 p.m. Most of us were quite hungry by then, Food wouldn't be ready very soon though. We were cooking the old fashioned way. First we had to start a campfire.

The park sells firewood for about $7 a bag. In fact that's the only way you can get it. You aren't allowed to bring your own in. I suspect it's to keep the place disease free. I know certain wood can carry certain kinds of insects that are detrimental to the health of trees.

The fire didn't turn out to be too hard to start. I was concerned at first though because Emily said we weren't suppose to pick up any twigs and things for kindling. Instead they brought some newspaper for that purpose. But, newspaper can burn pretty quickly unless you fold it tightly. I was worried that it would burn too fast and we would run out before the logs caught fire.

We cooked our food on long skewers. They had brought chicken wings, marinated beef and fish and beef balls among other things. Keith brought hot dogs. I started with those because, like I mentioned, we were hungry and I figure I could barbecue them quickly and start eating.

We decided to use the portable stove to cook more things faster. It's lucky we did that because camp staff came around at about midnight and told all the campers that they had to extinguish their fires and turn out all their lights. We were still in the middle of cooking things at the time.

So that was pretty annoying, but we did as we were told. After that Peter and I had planned on going out and taking some long exposure night sky shots. The others joined us for a short while before returning to camp to sleep. Peter and I stayed out until around 2:00-2:30 a.m. You'll have to visit my Flickr.com page to view those pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment