Saturday, July 26, 2014

Burger Run?


I went downtown to do a Sandwich Run with some of my friends from Richmond Hill Christian Community Church yesterday. They call me every now and then to lead them.

Since I don't work Fridays I can take an easy during the day. In the afternoon I finished reading a book I took out from the library, then I walked downtown.

I left a bit early so I could grab dinner. I had bought a $20 voucher from Groupon for Big Moe's, a burger joint. It was the second one I used. The first time I went the fellow there said I had to spend at least $20. I didn't know why, but that's what he said.

Regular burgers are $4.79 there. Cheese burgers are $5.79. So to make it to the minimum $20 charge I bought three regular burgers and one cheese burger for four burgers in total.

Now, I know I can generally eat quite a bit. But four burgers might be stretching it. So as I walked out I was trying to figure out what I should do with all the burgers.

Since we were going to hand out bag lunches to people we saw on the street I figured I could do the same with the burgers.

The first place I went to was the Tim Hortons near Ryerson University. It was close to where I was going to meet the group from RHCCC and I knew there was a fellow there, Jason, who quite often hangs out opening the door for people for spare change.

Jason's from the east coast. I don't remember exactly how long he's been in Toronto. Perhaps 14 years or so. I can't remember too many other details about him. But, he's a nice guy, so, whenever I'm in the area, I try to go by to chat and see how he's doing.

This time I had a burger to offer him which he gladly accepted. We had a good chat and caught up with each other. I told him about my recent camping trips to Tobermory and the Thousand Islands from earlier in the summer.

One of his friends came by and I offered him a burger too. He was happy to get it. He tried to sell me the bike he had. I'm not sure where he got it from. I hope it wasn't stolen. That would suck for the person who lost it if it was.

A few people gave Jason change as they entered or exited Timmies. One young fellow gave him a donut in a small, brown Timmies bag. Jason didn't want it because he said it was a bit too sweet for his tastes. So when the young guys were out of sight he offered it to me. I like donuts so I took it.

I figured I'd better go up the street a bit to eat it just in case. That's when I saw a scruffy, older gentleman. I asked him if he wanted a donut and he graciously accepted.

I thought I'd start a conversation with him. Sometimes people who live on the streets don't have a lot of people to chat with. He seemed eager to talk.

Turns out his name is Bill. I believe he said he was 56. He grew up in Lindsay, Ontario. I think he was a ward of the Province. I don't believe I asked him how he ended up like that.

Anyway, we had a nice little talk. He was quite chatty. I guess not too many people ask him about his life or anything like that.

I had one more burger left (I had already eaten one while chatting with Jason). But, I was still a bit hungry, so I didn't offer it to Bill. I felt a bit guilty about that. After we parted I ate it, then went to meet the RHCCC gang at our regular meeting place at 10 Dundas East to go on the Sandwich Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment