Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Doors Open Toronto 2014


I hit Doors Open Toronto again this year. I try to go every year if I can. This year I could only go on Saturday because I had the boarding home visit on Sunday afternoon. Though I did manage to sneak in one place after church on Sunday before I went to volunteer.

I chose places I hadn't been to in previous years. Many of the buildings/places have been open to the public to visit for many years already. It's getting hard to find news ones.

The first place I went to was the Toronto Necropolis (which is just a cemetery). Run by the Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries it's located east off Parliament, north of Carlton right beside the Riverdale Zoo/Farm.

I thought I'd visit it because the picture of the chapel there on the Doors Open website looked nice. All cemeteries are generally nice. They have lovely landscaping and are peaceful and quiet. This one was no different. As far as cemeteries go this one was pretty small. It only had one road that looped through it.

A number of notable Canadians are buried here such as George Brown (founding publisher of The Globe and Father of Confederation); Ned Hanlan (World Champion Oarsman); William Lyon Mackenzie (first Mayor of Toronto); and Jack Layton (whose real name was John Gilbert Layton, leader of the Federal NDP).

Next I went to the Russell Carhouse on Queen Street by Greenwood. It's where the TTC stores its streetcars. I went here mostly because it was on my way to another building I wanted to visit.

They had some historical streetcars there on display. You could even take a free ride around the building in one of them. They also had the new extra-long street cars on display there. I didn't take the time to go on any of them. I was just there to take pictures.

After that I went further east on Queen Street all the way out to Victoria Park. The R.C. Harris Water Treatment Plant was there. It's a really neat looking Art Deco building. I took a number of pictures here.

My last stop on Saturday was the Munk School of Global Affairs on Bloor, west of the Royal Ontario Museum. Originally constructed in 1909 the building served as a meteorological observation centre and home to the Dominion Meteorological Service. I've always admired this building whenever I walked by it. I was happy they opened it up.

On Sunday I rushed over to the Arcadian after church. I only had about an hour or so before I had to leave for my boarding home visit. The Arcadian is an event centre located on the 8th floor of the Hudson's Bay building on the southeast corner of Queen and Bay.

It was originally opened in 1929, and, in 2011-2012, the 8,086 sq. ft. historical and cultural gem was restored to its original Art deco glory.

Interestingly enough I bumped into my floormate/former classmate, Anne-Marie, there. She was checking the place out with her friend. We live two doors down from each other in the same condo. As well, we were classmates in the graphic design program at George Brown College.

No comments:

Post a Comment