Friday, March 21, 2014

Things I've Found


Last Saturday when I was downtown I saw this young fellow come out of a barber shop. He walked no further than 10 metres when a $20 bill dropped out of his pocket. I walked over quickly to pick it up, but fumbled with it because it was completely flat on the ground and my hands were a bit numb from the cold. I caught up to him after a few seconds and told him he dropped it. He thanked me and I continued on ahead of him.

That got me thinking about things I've found. The most expensive thing I've found was an iPhone last year. That was while I was walking home up Yonge Street from downtown. I was on the west side of the street near Summerhill subway station I believe. It was just there on the sidewalk. I don't remember if it was locked or anything. But, I don't believe I was able to find out whose it was. I figured they would call anyway. So I continued walking and waited.

The call came when I was in front of Mount Pleasant Cemetery. It was a lady. She had been riding her bike with her husband if I remember correctly. The iPhone had been in her seat pouch which she forgot to zip up. Luckily it wasn't damaged. I asked her to identify the phone by asking what colour it was. She told me, blue. I was actually looking for "Sky Blue", but that was close enough. I told her where I was and that I'd wait for her. They wanted to give me a reward, but I said it was fine.

The most interesting thing I found was a police officer's badge when I was a kid. It was in the parking lot behind some apartment buildings (1002 Lawrence Avenue East) around where I grew up. It was just lying there on the ground. I believe it looked sort of like a wallet, you know, brown or black leather. When I opened it I saw the badge inside. That was neat. Of course we called the police to return it. It would have been a neat souvenir though. Whoever dropped it really has to be more careful.

The largest amount of money I found was $40 U.S. I saw two $20 bills lying on the sidewalk in front of the Italian consulate on Beverley Street. Don't know who dropped it. I went to lunch with some of my friends all thanks to an unfortunate American tourist.

No comments:

Post a Comment