Thursday, March 6, 2014

Academy Awards Viewing Party at Dickie's



Perry and Dickie organized a potluck dinner at Dickie's house on Sunday. We were going to watch the Academy Awards on TV there. Ellen Degeneres was hosting this year. She's really good.

As usual, I said I'd bring dessert. Normally I look for a store bought pie since I can't cook. Before I could go out and get it Perry called me and said, too many people were bringing dessert. He suggested I buy a veggie platter instead.

We had a good turnout - 15 to 20 people. I believe most of them were either from Perry's church or Dickie's church. There was a fair amount of food. I noticed hardly anyone touched my veggie platter (baby carrots, celery, broccoli and cauliflower with dip). Bad choice, Perry! Nobody likes healthy food (wink, wink).

Perry had his traditional Academy Awards quiz to see who could pick the most category winners. This year he provided a "cheat sheet" with the Las Vegas odds on the favourites for each category. It helped for some of the more obscure choices (like best animated short or best foreign language film).

I hadn't seen most or even any of the movies nominated this year. So I relied heavily on the cheat sheet with a few hunches thrown in. Turns out it was a good way to pick. I ended up tied with Perry for most correct answers. Out of the 24-25 questions we both only got four wrong. It made watching a bit more interesting. We were on edge as each award was given keenly checking our answers.

It was good to meet up with everyone again. I don't see the guys that much. Probably only 2-3 times a year whenever we meet for birthdays or other holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment