Friday, March 28, 2014

The Accident


So I'm driving south on Highway 400 on Monday afternoon around 5:40 p.m. after my last delivery in Barrie. Conditions are good. There isn't any snow on the highway and visibility is clear. Since it's not congested traffic is moving at a good clip - probably 100-120 kph. I'm looking ahead when I see something happening approximately 300 metres down the road.

Since I was a fair distance away and it happened quickly I didn't get a good view. All I see a big puff of snow from a vehicle that just ploughed through the snowbank (2-3 feet high) on the shoulder. (There's still a lot of snow in Barrie even though there isn't much in Toronto). Things (snow and other items) were flying all around. I believe it did at least one flip (but probably more) before coming to rest.

Even though I was kind of in a hurry to get back to the city I figured I'd better stop. A lot of cars had slowed down, but most kept going. When I got there one car had stopped on the right shoulder. A lady was standing beside it not doing much. Another car had stopped on the left shoulder. A man got out and put on a yellow safety vest and tried to cross three lanes of traffic. He made it across without too much trouble. One car had to hit the brakes to avoid running him over. But, most cars had slowed down a lot by this time.

Upon arrival at the scene I was preparing myself to extricate an injured person/persons from a car. But by the time I pulled over on the shoulder, put my hazard lights on and got out of my van a young lady with brown hair (perhaps in her late 20s or early 30s) had already gotten out of the driver's side and was walking around. Miraculously, she didn't seem injured at all.

The man and I approached her not walking too quickly since there was still a bit of snow on the side of the highway (perhaps 6-12 inches) and it wasn't easy to walk through. Besides, we saw that she wasn't in distress so the situation didn't seem urgent. The man spoke first. He asked her how she was. She said she felt all right. Maybe a little bit dizzy because her car had flipped over (at least once even though it had landed upright).

Stuff was strewn all over the place. The car was damaged. Not heavily. The trunk was kind of crunched. It was fully open and the contents were all around. Maybe she had just gone shopping. I noticed her bag and sunglass a bit further away. They probably came out of the interior of her car.

Since the young lady looked okay and I was in a bit of a hurry to get back to Toronto I asked if they needed me to stay. The man said they were all right. I guess they could handle things from there. I believe the guy was on the phone when I took off. The other lady was still standing by her car on the shoulder of the highway.

I was considering helping the girl pick up her belongings as I walked by them on the way back to my vehicle. But I thought I should leave them in case the investigator (when he/she came) wanted to take pictures of things where they lay. I hoped someone would get there soon because the light was starting to dim. It would be hard to take pictures and even harder to find/pick everything up afterwards.

I didn't see how the accident happened. I'm not sure if all three of them were involved. I noticed a bit of damage on the passenger-side front bumper of the guy's car as I was driving away.

No comments:

Post a Comment