Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Burning House


I just happened upon a blog called The Burning House. People are invited to submit a photo and a list of items they'd save from their home if it were burning down.

Among other things books, computers, cameras, shoes, bags, stuffed animals, real animals (pets) and photos/photo albums were listed.

The majority of items listed held some sort of sentimental value. Things like a ring or an old necklace or something given to them by a loved one (like grandparent, husband, girlfriend, best friend etc.) either living or passed on.

For me... I've collected a lot of "junk" over time. They're pieces of the past that I like to look back on. Old notebooks from public school, Christmas/birthday cards and things like that from friends over the years. They're part of the journey I call life. People who've impacted my life at one point or another.

I must say I have too much "junk" though. I stopped buying souvenirs when I traveled a long time ago. I learned they just end up in a pile of dust in a drawer or closet. Just taking up more and more valuable space. Memories aren't "things" you collect when you're away from home. It's the destination itself.

That's why I cherish my photos of these places. They are the second thing I would take - My photo albums. Before the advent of digital cameras I printed, dated and organized all my shots. If I ever lost them I'd never be able to replace them. That would be devastating.

The third thing I'd take would be my computer and back up drive. Because that's where all my current digital photos are stored. I've posted most of them online too on Flickr.com . But, they're only a fraction of the original file size. So I'd like to hang on to my computer too if I could.

Now, you've probably noticed I haven't yet mentioned the first item I'd take. It's another photo album. But, this one isn't one that I had any part in putting together. No, it's my baby album that my parents assembled. It has photos of me in it from the time I was born to the end of high school. I have to say there weren't a lot of shots in me in my teenage years, but still... it holds a significant place in my heart.

Now it's your turn... What would you take?

No comments:

Post a Comment