Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hypnotist Keith Barry



I was flipping through the channels other day when I passed a show on the Discovery Channel called, Deception with Keith Barry. He's a hypnotist.

Now I have to say, I'm a really skeptical person. I don't believe anything I haven't seen for myself. In fact, in the case of hypnotists, sometimes I don't believe they're real even after seeing them.

The first time I saw one was back when I was in college at George Brown. The school brought in a hypnotist to perform one day in the atrium. It was quite entertaining and he made the participants do funny, but harmless things like cluck like chickens and things like that.

Even seeing it live didn't convince me it was real. I thought the participants could have been in cahoots with the hypnotist. They could have been working together and it wasn't real.

But, having seen this new program on a channel that I trust has swayed my opinion. To me, Keith Barry, legitimately hypnotized total strangers in a variety of scenarios that left both them and me absolutely flabbergasted.

Mr. Barry hypnotized one fellow on a busy downtown street into begging for change. The participant had no recollection of doing it and was shocked after seeing the video evidence of himself doing it.

He did the same thing to 85% of an audience in a movie theatre who thought they were there to watch a film. Instead he hypnotized most of them into thinking they saw it. The other 15% weren't able to be hypnotized, but watched in awe as the rest of them were.

To finish off, Mr. Barry, hypnotized one fellow and turned him into a "sleeper agent" to see if he could get him to "drug" an assassin and "steal" photos from his briefcase at a café. The assassin and all the people in the café were actors. But, the subject did exactly as he was instructed under hypnosis and did get the files for Mr. Barry.

Afterwards Keith Barry asked him about it and the participant thought he dreamed the whole thing. When he was shown the videotape of himself actually doing it he just about flipped out. It was incredible.

I have to say it's piqued my interest in hypnotism. It would be neat to see if it's something that's easily learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment