Saturday, July 9, 2011

2011 Toronto Pride Parade



I went to the 2011 Pride Parade this year. It's the third parade I've attended over the years. I like going. It's always a lively, colourful event. As long as it doesn't conflict with my boarding home visit then I'll try to make it.

I went with my friend Kerry this year. We met for lunch at Rol Jui after church. I was worried about not getting a good spot if I stopped for lunch, but we still got there on time. I was only behind one row of spectators. But, since I'm fairly tall I managed to shoot over them (or between them).

It was a hot, sunny day. You had to make sure you kept hydrated or you could get into trouble. I have to say I didn't drink any water, so I was getting pretty baked. That's the sacrifice I was willing to make not to lose my spot so I could get some good photos. My friend Kerry stood in the shade of a building further back. So he was a bit more comfortable than me.

As usual, the parade was long, but upbeat. I heard there were over 1 million people who either participated or lined the parade route. One notable exception was the mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford. It was the first time the sitting mayor has missed the parade in many years. Supposedly he was at a family retreat north of the city.

Nevertheless, I think it's his duty to support an event this big. Pride week is a huge event here in Toronto. It brings in visitors from all over the world and a lot of money for local businesses. To snub it is to marginalize the LGBT community. Even the former mayor, David Miller, was there, not to mention federal NDP leader, Jack Layton, and his wife Olivia Chow and Green Party leader Elizabeth May.

So, even though I'm a Rob Ford supporter in general, boo to you for missing the boat on this one Mr. Mayor.

Check out my shots here.

No comments:

Post a Comment