Tuesday, July 12, 2011

2011 Honda Indy, Part I



I dropped by the Honda Indy this past weekend. It's the 25th Anniversary of the race in Toronto. I have to say I'm not much of a car racing fan, but it was free on Friday so I thought I'd head down to the CNE for a look. It was my first time ever attending the Indy. I had no idea what to expect.

I took the subway down to Union Station and hopped on the 509 streetcar which dropped me of at the CNE grounds. From there I walked with the rest of the crowds to the Direct Energy Centre just inside the Princes' Gates.

My first stop was to the bathroom. After that I walked into Hall B (I believe). Inside was the Support Series Paddock which included the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series, Ferrari Challenge and Canadian Touring Car race cars.

It was interesting. You could pretty much walk up to any of the cars and touch them if you wanted. Of course you might get the "evil eye" from one of the crew members who were working on the vehicles at the time. But, that's how much access people had. For the most part people just wandered around taking photos (like myself).

After checking out the NASCAR Series cars I headed west into Hall A. There I saw the Ferrari race cars. I had no idea they raced them. They were pretty cool to look at. If I bought a Ferrari I certainly wouldn't be racing it around though. Quite a few of them had dings and scratches from dust ups around the various circuits they raced around.

No comments:

Post a Comment