Saturday, May 14, 2011

Cherry Blossoms at High Park



I went to High Park on Saturday to see the cherry blossoms. They're finally blooming. I think it took a little longer than normal because of the cool weather we've been having lately. Usually they would have blossomed the week before.

As expected the park was packed. I knew this would be the case so I rode my bike over to avoid the hassles of trying to find parking. Besides, it was relatively nice out... a perfect day for a spin.

I got there a little earlier than I would normally go because I had some census work to do afterwards. I believe I was there from noon to 1:30 p.m. Not as long as I would have liked, but I think I got some decent photos nonetheless.

It's lucky I got there at that time because I was able to see the A Thousand Paper Cranes display. A few people had gotten together to make origami cranes to raise money for the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. Their goal was to make 1,000 cranes, but as of the this past Saturday they only had about 450. They only stayed until about 2:30 p.m. I heard. But, they're planning on returning next Saturday, May 14th (hopefully with the rest of the cranes completed).

I had a good time down there taking a lot of photos. The cranes were pretty and so were the cherry blossoms. There were many others, like me, taking pictures and just as many having picnics with their friends or walking around enjoying the day. A couple of people even brought their brushes, easels and canvases to spend the afternoon painting. What a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment