Saturday, February 26, 2011

Wheelchair Access



One of my pet peeves is when able-bodied people use the handicap button to open doors. That annoys me quite a bit. It's unbelievable how lazy some people are. They can't even open a door for themselves. No wonder people here in North America are in such bad shape.

I'm sure they think to themselves, "The button will always work. Why should I worry about it breaking and a handicap person not being able to use it?"

Well, strange as it may seem, it finally happened. I was walking through the Eaton Centre the other day. At the north end near Sears, I saw this lady in an electric wheelchair coming towards the entrance from outside. She pushed the button to open the door and nothing happened.

Fortunately I was only steps away and walked over to open the door for her. She was thankful for that. But, I'm sure she would have rather not had to rely on the kindness of a stranger to help her out.

So, the moral of the story is to get off your lazy ass and open doors under your own power (to anyone who already isn't doing that). Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment