Saturday, February 12, 2011

Skating Outdoors



My friends and I went skating last week at Mel Lastman Square. It's the former site of North York City Hall. It's along the Yonge Subway line at North York City Centre stop. Of course, the picture above was taken at Toronto City Hall at Nathan Philips Square. It's just a representation of what it's like to skate outdoors.

I quite enjoy skating outside. It's really fun. Much more interesting than skating inside a grey concrete box where people normally go. You get to see the skies above you and the surrounding scenery. You may have to battle the elements though. But, if you're dressed properly it still can be nice skating while it's snowing or windy.

We hit the ice pretty late on Saturday when we went out. The traffic was terrible because it snowed quite heavily just before we got on the road. It was closer to 9:30 p.m. by the time we got started.

Luckily for us, the rink guy had just taken the Zamboni around the ice before we got on. As well, at that time of day there weren't a lot of other skaters on the ice. So that was good too. It gave me, for one, a bit more space to skate around and swerve in and out.

I really wanted to skate around the ice in a clockwise motion, but I really couldn't go against the flow. Everybody always skates in a counterclockwise direction because it's easier. But, you'll never learn if you don't go the other way.

Anyway, I had a great time. Afterwards we went to the Wendy's fast food restaurant across the street from the rink. I thought they would have had hot chocolate there, but they didn't. So my friends had a hot tea and coffee and I had a Frosty. I know it's a strange thing to have in the middle of winter, but I like them and haven't had one in a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment