Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dinner at Tony and Iris' Place



We had dinner over at Tony and Iris' place this past Thursday. Normally I would have gym night on Thursdays, but for the past two weeks I believe the high school (where we rent the gym out) has been using it. So I've been free to do whatever I please.

This was the first official gathering at Tony's place since he and Iris got married. And the first time that they've invited people over since last summer. Tony used to have people over on a semi regular basis, but things had been piling up around his apartment. Iris helped him clean up and now they're planning to have more get togethers.

Another reason for the dinner party was that Iris' brother just came into town (this past Monday). He's going to be staying in Toronto for six months studying English. They found him a place at Yonge and Finch for now. I'm not sure how long he plans on staying there. That area is quite heavily populated by Koreans, which could either be good or bad depending on how you look at it. He won't have to go far to get traditional Korean food. But, he'd better be careful not to fall back on speaking Korean too much if his intention is to improve his English.

Tony and Iris arranged to have hot pot for dinner. They had all the normal hot pot fixings like thinly sliced beef and pork and an assortment of vegetables and fish balls etc.

Iris invited her bridesmaids Eunjung and Mariko. Tony invited me and Andrew and Gloria.

After dinner we played an old, traditional British game. I can't remember what it was called. I'll have to find out. It's played with coins on a slate board. The idea is similar to shuffleboard. You have to slide your coins down the slate tablet between white lines. That's basically the premise behind how you score points.

We played guys versus girls. It started off quite evenly with the girls eventually pulling ahead by a couple of points. We came back with a late flurry to win 14-12 in the end. For our victory I suggested the girls should give us back rubs. Unfortunately that didn't happen ;-)

2 comments:

  1. It would be very nice to have a friend like who's always taking pictures and wrting journals. Only coming close to you and hanging out as often as possible, I might can get arrange photo albums and journal books by steal them from you. Am I too lazy??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it can take a bit of time to take pictures and write things all the time, that's for sure. But, I think it's a good way to keep a record of everything you do (like a journal or diary). So, I can look back on it later on and remember the different things I did when I was younger =)

    ReplyDelete