Friday, December 17, 2010

Voices Carry



It was just downright weird... I was having lunch with a friend last week at the Pickle Barrel by my place when I heard a song over the restaurant sound system that I haven't heard in years. It was the popular 1985 release Voices Carry by 'Til Tuesday.

Sung by lead singer Aimee Mann the video won the MTV Video Music Award for Best New Artist when it came out. Of course I was fully enamored by the tune back then. When the group came to town to promote their album I went to Much Music (back on Queen East at the time if I remember correctly) to try and get an autograph from Aimee (which I managed to successfully pull off, thank you very much).

Now that might not seem so odd if that were the end of the story. But, it just so happened that later that day I met up with another friend around Sherbourne and Wellesley Streets for a bite at a local burger joint. We were happily enjoying our burgers when guess what song comes up on their sound system? You guessed it... Voices Carry. This time it was a slower version. One I had never heard before. I'm not sure who performed it, but it was pretty cool nonetheless.

It's strange though... I was quite surprised to hear it once. But, twice in one day? What are the odds of that? Astronomically low as far as I'm concerned. Time to buy a lottery ticket perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment