Monday, December 13, 2010

Addicted to Scrabble



It's strange I know, but, lately, I've been hooked on playing Scrabble online. I believe part of the appeal is winning "points" from this site, POGO, I play on. What you can do with these so-called points that you can win is a mystery to me. Perhaps you can use them to enter a contest to win prizes on their site or something. Whatever the case, I just like accumulating them.

The actual act of playing the game is fun too though. I normally play against the computer. I find it tends to make really short words which is kind of annoying. It's hard to make words yourself when there aren't a lot of places to place your letters.

I've also learned a lot of really weird words. You can experiment with "words" by placing your letters on the board. If it's actually a real word that you've placed on the board the play button on your computer screen will turn yellow to signify you can use it.

As well, they have a button you can press to show 2-letter words. This is really helpful when you want to use up difficult letters like J, X, Q or Z. Did you know that JO, XI, XU, EX, QI and ZA are words in the Scrabble Dictionary? It's true. So if you're ever stuck with those letters you can find various vowels to place them next to.

On the picture at the top of this particular blog you can see I placed the word ZA, ZA and AT for 50 points. I got 33 points for the first ZA on the triple word score, 11 points for the second ZA and 6 points for the AT on the triple word score.

My highest point total for one play was 88 for a combination of ZEPS, ZA and EM. I got 63 points for ZEPS (the Z was on a double letter score, and the word was on a triple word score. The P and S were blanks), 21 points for ZA and 4 points for EM.

I also got a total score of 89 for SQUIRTS and ERAS. 45 points for SQUIRTS on a triple word score with I on a double letter score (T and S were blanks) plus 50 bonus points for using all seven tiles, and 4 points for ERAS.

To do well you have to take advantage of the letters that give you the big points and put them on squares that increase their value like double or triple letter score or double or triple word score.

Good luck and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment