Monday, October 18, 2010

Second Trip to the Brick Works



I went to the Evergreen/Don Valley Brick Works again last Saturday (October 9th). This time I made it part of a longer hike with my friend from church, Gloria. My other friend, Daphne, was supposed to come too, but she came down with something unfortunately. We'll have to try and make it out again. Hopefully the weather will cooperate again.

It was a great day for a hike. I met Gloria at the Davisville subway station. I had planned a route that was probably around 10 kms long in my estimation.

We started at Mount Pleasant Cemetery. There's a walkway just off Yonge and Merton Streets. From there we headed west through the underpass under Mount Pleasant Avenue in to the section of the cemetery between Mount Pleasant and Bayview. There's an exit by the Viewing Centre (at south central boundary of the cemetery) that leads to a path in the Moore Park Ravine. That will take you straight to the Brick Works.

Along the way, both through the cemetery and along the ravine path, I would stop to take pictures. It was an amazing day for taking shots. The skies were clear blue and the leaves bright yellows, oranges and reds. Perfect for photographing. To kill some time while she waited for me, Gloria collected leaves which she planned to use for a project later.

We arrived at the Brick Works and did a walk of the grounds before stopping for a break. I made a crappy peanut butter sandwich which I ate. Gloria just had some water. We sat on a picnic table in front of the pond right outside the buildings there. It was so nice. Just chilling and looking over the water at the trees and landscape, it was a great way to spend the afternoon.

After the break we walked around a bit more and I took a few more photos before we decided to head back. Instead of completely retracing our steps we took a detour through some city streets which eventually led out to the entrance of another park, David A. Balfour Park, just off Mount Pleasant Avenue and Roxborough Drive. The path in the park ends at another entrance/exit at Mount Pleasant Cemetery (on the south end of the part between Yonge and Mount Pleasant north of Heath Street). We walked through that part of the cemetery back to Davisville subway station and that was the end of our day.

No comments:

Post a Comment