Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Remembrance Day



Real Heros

Everyone has heros. Some see Michael Jordan as their hero. Others Derek Jeter or Tiger Woods. While each of them has their own merits I'd like to suggest our real heros are our war vets.

I was at the Remembrance Day ceremony today at Queen's Park. It was the first time I've had the privilege of attending. This was a time for the citizens of our city to pay tribute to the soldiers who fought for our country in wars past and continue to fight in current conflicts. Dalton McGuinty, the premier of Ontario, spoke first. He was followed by other dignitaries, both civilian and military. They reminded us of the many sacrifices our men and women in the military have made and thanked them for their service. I, for one, am deeply gratified.

I had the honour of both shaking hands with and thanking Major-General Richard Rohmer (left) and Bruce Melanson (right) after the ceremony. Both are veterans of World War II. I overheard Mr. Melanson described war as "hell" while speaking to another person there. I can only imagine. It must have been terrifying. He was fighting in France with the Allied forces. As we know many young men never made it back alive. To show our appreciation, the least we can do is honour their memory and never forget.

Check out the complete set of photos on my Flickr.com photostream. View as slideshow is best.

No comments:

Post a Comment