Friday, November 27, 2009

Flashback to 1989



Look what I found... it's a picture of me and my classmates from my graphic design class at George Brown College back in 1989 (I believe). I took these photos with my father's old, Canon AE-1 SLR using black and white film. It was part of a photography class we had back then. We did everything ourselves. From processing the film to printing the pictures in the darkroom. No instant, click and view on the back of your digital camera back then. You took your shots, waited until you finished the whole roll. Developed them (either yourself or took them somewhere to do it) and got to look at them days or weeks later. Oh, how the anticipation built! When you finally got your pictures back you were either pleasantly surprised with how they turned out or kind of disappointed that they didn't look as nice as you thought they would. The thing is, you never knew until sometime later. There's no suspense any longer. I guess, depending on how you look at it, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Anyway, I've sort of drifted from my original intention of talking about my former classmates. I currently have some sort of contact with four of the five in the picture above. I'm in the top row in the middle. Anne-Marie (top-left) actually lives two doors down from me on the same floor in my condo. Isn't that a coincidence? I've been here since the end of 2001. She moved in about three years ago. Before that we hadn't had any contact since we graduated back in 1990. What are the chances of that? Lawrence (top-right) lives in Hong Kong. The last time we e-mailed each other was at least five years ago. I just wrote him a few days ago. No response yet. I don't even know if he still uses the address I have for him. Philip Luisi is on the bottom-left. He was one of funnier guys in class. I always liked him. He's the person I most recently reconnected with. Phil's currently working at an ad agency in Toronto. He's living in Etobicoke and has been married for 10 years and has an eight-year-old daughter. I just found Norbert (bottom-middle) on Facebook few weeks ago. He looks different. I suppose we all do. He's still quite thin like before. But, his golden locks are nowhere to be found. Rob Lee is still in the city. I just talked to him about a week ago. We usually talk about once a year. It's been quite a few years since we've actually seen each other face to face. That's too long as far as I'm concerned. I'm going to have to do something about that. After graduation we traveled Europe together for 2-1/2 months. My biggest and longest adventure to date.

Anyway, it was cool digging up these old shots again. I believe the original prints were buried somewhere in my parents' basement before. I scanned them and stored them on a CD quite a few years ago. That lay hidden amongst all my other junk until just recently when I was going through some of my stuff again. Old treasures, once lost, found again. Makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. aww you still look the same (minus the glasses ^^)! :)) the photos are great, too! i love b&w and how cool to develop the films yourself! i've never taken a single photography class, but kinda tempted to recently. :p isn't it one of the loveliest moments to walk down memory lane looking at all these 'old photos'? :) thanks for sharing, jeff :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Wooly. Yeah, I guess I probably look similar now to how I did before. I think I had contact lenses on that day. I've been wearing glasses since I was around nine.

    I'm not sure how much I actually learned in those classes back then. I think I've gotten better more recently after looking at other peoples' photos on Flickr. As well, using a digital camera gives you the chance to try different things. It's a lot easier than it was using film. And, of course, I use Photoshop to "enhance" my photos.

    You're right... I love looking through old photos. I've managed to contact a lot of old friends, classmates and colleagues through Facebook. It's really wonderful reconnecting with people again. Especially one I haven't had contact with in many, many years.

    ReplyDelete