Tuesday, February 9, 2016

DMCI Mini Reunion


Our friend, Wayne and his daughter, came into town for a bouldering competition this Saturday. She had tied for first in a local competition and, along with seven others, earned the chance to compete here next weekend.

It's been 15 years since Wayne was in town. He's been in Vancouver since graduating from university over 25 years ago. So, when I found out he was coming, I hastily got a few high school classmates together for lunch.

Besides through Facebook, I don't have much contact with a lot of my friends from back then. It's sad this is the only way we keep in touch I know. Facebook is a useful tool though. It's how I managed to arrange for us to meet up.

The only friend who still lives in the immediate area (Don Mills) is Manuel. Brian is out east in Whitby and Jay is downtown. I'm in midtown Toronto. My parents still live in Don Mills. Still in the same house my sister and I grew up in.

We met at the Jack Astor's at the Shops at Don Mills. Even though I hadn't seen most of the guys in 5-15 years we pretty much knew what everyone else was up to (through Facebook). Though Manuel isn't in touch with us on FB, so it was a big surprise when he said he got married last year.

After lunch we went over to the high school for a look around and to snap a few more photos. It was Wayne's daughter's first visit to Toronto. Before lunch he showed her around the old neighbourhood and to see his old house (by our old public school).

It was great meeting up. Hopefully it won't be so long until we see each other again.

No comments:

Post a Comment