Saturday, December 19, 2015

Animorphia - Colouring Book


I know... it's weird isn't it? I bought my first colouring book in probably over 40 years.

It seems like adult colouring books are all the rage now (for now). I went to my local Indigo bookstore and there was a large, two-table display with many different books. There were floral themes, tattoos, and movie and TV show themed books among others.

There were two I was interested in at first. One was Fantastic Cities of the world; the other a fantasy one called, Animorphia.

While the black and white line drawings of the cities looked amazing, I decided against that book because I thought buildings would end up being mostly flat, mundane colours. On the other hand, the flora and fauna in Animorphia were more organic and could be brightly coloured. So I chose that one.

My mom found my old Prismacolor 60-pencil set at home. I bought it over 25 years ago when I was taking graphic design at George Brown College. I had been looking at coloured pencil sets and they were pretty expensive. A similar set nowadays would probably run around $40-$50.

I was considering a $5 12-pencil set, but that definitely wouldn't have sufficed. To do a good job colouring you really need an extensive number of pencils.

One thing I didn't consider was the amount of time that would be involved in colouring each double-page spread. My first one took at least six hours in total. My second will probably end up taking longer. I'm only half way through it and it's really dragging.

It's not as relaxing as I hoped it would be. It's actually quite intensive. But the finished product makes me happy. I'm really pleased with how they turned out. It's another outlet for my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment