Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sho Ryu Ken Hakata Tonkatsu Ramen


A few of us met up for dinner at Sho Ryu Ken Hakata Tonkatsu Ramen on Yonge, north of Empress Avenue (opposite the Owl of Minerva). It was a good-bye meal for Fiona who was leaving for two weeks in Denver for work. Also there were Roger and Patsy, Janice, Peter and Emily. Keith came a bit late.

Roger and Pasty had already eaten there. I'm not sure if anyone else had gone. It was my first time.

The broth is supposed to be very rich. Pork bones are boiled for 15 hours to make it. According to their website the broth contains a lot of collagen and is supposed to be good for your skin. For me... the only thing I was concerned about was the taste.

I was just going to order the regular Hakata Tonkotsu ramen for $9.80. But, Janice, who didn't want to be the only one to order the one with more meat, the Chashu Lover, for $13.00 persuaded me to change.

Roger ordered the Black Tonkotsu which, in addition to the regular pork bone broth, has a special sauce and black roasted garlic oil for $10.80. I believe everyone else had the regular ramen.

In addition we ordered Karaage (fried chicken) and rare beef dish (I believe). I don't remember what it's called. It's not on their online menu for some reason.

Anyway, the food was decent. The broth was a bit rich for my tastes, but that's just me. The restaurant is on the smaller size. It was a bit busy when we went on a Friday evening. There was a small line. No big deal. It's nice to try something different now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment