Monday, February 2, 2015

John's Italian Caffe


I finally went to John's Italian Caffe for dinner. It's a small restaurant located near my church on Baldwin and Beverley streets. It actually was my third attempt at going there. I had bought a Groupon early last year and in the summer was planning on going down with one of my friends. Only, on my way down, realized I double-booked forgetting a volunteer session at the Scott Mission.

The next time I tried going was only a few days before the Groupon expired. It was on a Sunday after church. I went by only to read a handwritten note taped to the restaurant window informing patrons that they were closed on Sundays and Mondays during the winter.

I finally made it out the following Thursday evening - two days before they Groupon was due to expire. Though I ended up going by myself because of the inclement weather. My other friend who I had made plans on going with didn't want to drive through the slippery snow that we received during the day.

The Groupon was valued at $30. I figured I wouldn't have much of a problem spending all of it there since the food there was priced slightly above average. Originally I had planned on getting an entrée followed by dessert and a coffee. But the waitress told me that the Groupon was only good for food and not drinks (any kind of drink).

So I ordered a bowl of minestrone soup ($6) as an appetizer and chicken parmesan ($16) which came with a side of penne with tomato sauce for the main course. I followed up with their tiramisu ($6.75) for dessert.

All the food was very good. I really enjoyed it. Though it was a bit boring eating by myself. The total bill only came to $28.75 which left me $1.25 short. I guess their computer or whatever wouldn't accept the Groupon unless I spent a minimum of $30, so the waitress sold me a small jar of hot peppers in olive oil for $5 more to bring the total to $33.75.

She assured me they weren't too spicy because I told her I couldn't really eat spicy stuff. I was hoping she could have just charged me an extra $1.25 for nothing and we would be all square. Anyway, it didn't really matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment