Saturday, August 24, 2013

Should You Shop in Canada?


I have to admit I've gone down to the U.S. to go shopping in the past. They certainly have a lot of good deals, especially at their outlet malls. I've also bought camera lenses online and either had them shipped to my relatives place in Long Island or had someone else bring them up. Since our dollar is so strong it makes cross border shopping quite attractive.

That being said, it's not impossible to find good deals here in Canada too. We have the discount fashion store, Winners, here. And, just recently, sister store, Marshalls, (also under American parent company TJX) opened a boatload of stores in southern Ontario (as well as those in other provinces).

A couple of weeks ago I had a bit of time to kill and walked into the Marshalls at John and Richmond for the first time. After half an hour I walked out with a pair of Tommy Hilfer casual shoes for $49.99* and a half dozen pair of black Perry Ellis socks for $9.99*.

Yesterday I went to the local GAP store and bought a pair of 1969 boot cut/fit jeans on sale for $19.97*. Normally they go for $69.95. But when they want to get rid of old stock significant discounts can be had. That's when I swoop in for the kill.

So before you jump in the car and head for the border you should take this into consideration. Is it worth the gas money and travel time to go to Buffalo or Niagara Falls, New York? Or can you find similar deals here in Canada?

*Not including HST.

No comments:

Post a Comment