Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Rogers Digital Television Adapter


I've been a subscriber to Rogers for cable television service for years. From the time I moved into my first home in Scarborough (in 1992) to my current location at my condo in midtown Toronto (since 2001).

When I first moved into my condo Rogers offered me all their channels for the price of basic cable. I had CNN, Spike TV, Discovery Channel, History Channel, HGTV, The Food Network, etc. I supposed they wanted me to get hooked on these channels so I'd subscribe to them once the free trial period was over. Well, that didn't work.

Soon enough the channels were cut and I made do with basic cable which went up to Fox on channel 28. I still had SportsNet on channel 22, but there was no TSN on 30 or any of the other channels above. Borrrinnng...

... Until, one day, the channels magically reappeared.

Now, I don't know how or why it happened, but I didn't care. I had the channels back and that was fine with me. Rogers started charging me a few extra dollars for using an extra outlet (for the second and third TVs), but I didn't care. It was still less than paying for the extra channels I was getting. All was good until just recently.

Roger started upgrading their channels from analog to digital. Soon the analog channels started disappearing a few at a time. First it was the Food Network. Disappointing, but I could handle it. Then MTV Canada and Peachtree TV. Next it was Teletoon, HGTV and History Channel. Painful! Now The Score (soon to be SportsNet 360 showing the UFC) was gone! Enough was enough!

Now Rogers began offering free digital TV adapters to their customers quite awhile ago. But, me being the lazy person I am didn't order one. Now I was suffering. So one Friday afternoon I made short the walk down Yonge to their Davisville store and picked up three.

They gave them to me and I brought them home and struggled a wee bit to set them up. Actually, hooking everything up wasn't much of a problem. It was trying to program the remote control. The instructions from Rogers didn't work. So I followed the ones from the manufacturer Cisco and, finally, success. Until...

... I turned the TV on and, lo and behold, my channels were not only not any clearer (with digital), but I had even less!! I was back to my original basic cable channels (2 through 28, while missing 29 to 42). So, after all that work, I unplugged the digital adapter and am back to my analog service. Good grief!

7 comments:

  1. Yes, I tried that adapter and still not the channels I had originally and less. So, unhook back to basics analog. Thinking of going to Bell Satellite bundle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Box Cable Box does,nt work and now I am on ANalog too, suddently Ch 35 disappeared , soon to be more soon if i don,t get another!!!

      Delete
  2. I was in a similar position and just picked up the adapter after hearing that you can get continue receiving the channels that were moving digital. So I was surprised when I hooked up the box and only got the 2-28 channels. I realized that it's because I only have basic cable and that's what they provide. At least we can still get TSN, Showcase and Discovery on analog, and lucky they moved AMC down before zapping the higher channels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very similar experience, except I subscribe to Digital Plus. So while I get the channels like TSN, CNN, etc., the adaptor will only receive up to channel 42. The History Channel on 43 does not come in at all. Frustratingly, the website and call centre techs all claim that 43 through to 60 are still available. I've had a visit from a tech though and he states that it's impossible for the adaptor to receive anything above 42.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had nothing but trouble with the free digital adapter as well as lots of others!! I did not get the channels I wanted to see like Peachtree,TCM.I can not really afford more money for box rentals and extra channels.If I loose A&E, Bravo, and HLN I may consider going Satellite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what you guys are doing - but I have Digital VIP in the living room - and I have up to 62 on my adapter box (though I rarely go past 58). I have no issues with the box except that it sometimes cuts out for 'firmware' updates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I'm only paying for channels 2 to 28. That's why I only get those channels when I attach the adapter. Without the adapter I get the free analog channels I was originally getting (which has gone down from the 60s to channel 42).

    ReplyDelete