Saturday, July 6, 2013

Blue Jay Sighting


I know, I know... it doesn't sound like such a momentous event, but it's been such a long time since I've seen an actual, live Blue Jay. Especially in my midtown Toronto area where the only feathered friends one seems to see are either pigeons or the odd sparrow or two. Not very interesting at all.

If my memory serves me correctly I used to see Blue Jays on a semi-regular basis when I was living at my parents' place. Now, given, that was a long time ago, I was still surprised at the significant decline of the Blue Jay population over the years.

Recently I was at High Park and happened into a conversation with a gentleman who said he enjoyed bird watching. He mentioned that the West Nile virus had negatively affected the Blue Jay and crow populations. He explained they were a related species.

So, while I've seen robins, cardinals, various species of woodpecker, the odd hawk or two, a couple of American Goldfinch (around Toronto City Hall) and even a Northern Flicker (in my sister's backyard that was injured I believe and eventually died), it's been a long time since I've seen a Blue Jay.

That was until a week or two ago when I saw one from inside my parents' house. It landed briefly on the railing of the small deck on the side of their house before flying off. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to take a picture. That will be my next mission. As well, I'd like to see a Kingfisher. My sister said she once saw one in the Rouge River conservation area.

No comments:

Post a Comment