Saturday, June 1, 2013

Is Dickie the Fonz?


My car radio had been out of commission for awhile now. One day it just started acting up and stopped picking up any of the radio stations All I heard was static.

Not too long ago I took it to the garage where I get my oil changed. The young owner there does minor car work as well as selling tires. He thought it might be the amplifier that was giving me problems, not the radio.

A couple of weeks ago I took it over to my friend Dickie's place. I had had a problem with what I thought was a faulty connector/adapter on my air compressor (that fit into my car cigarette lighter).

Dickie pulled a few plastic coverings off from the inside of my car and checked the connection to the lighter and found that it was faulty, not the compressor.

While he was at it, he removed a few more plastic pieces from my car and took out the radio for a look. We noticed that it "squawked" a bit after we tapped it. So after removing the radio Dickie gave it a couple of whacks, a la the Fonz (from the TV show Happy Days) and, lo and behold, it started working again.

That was great. It saved me big bucks from either replacing the radio or even worse, unnecessarily replacing the amplifier. Thanks, Dickie!

No comments:

Post a Comment