Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reflections: Self-Identity


I picked up a book from the library on the weekend by DW Gibson called Not Working. In it he interviews people (I believe Americans) who've recently lost their jobs (from 2007-2011).

I have to say I've only just started it. So I won't have anything to say about the book per se until later (though one thing I can say right now is that I found an error right off the bat. They spelt President Ronald Reagan's name incorrectly twice as "Regan" on page four).

Anyway, the book got me thinking about how much of our identity and even self-worth is based upon what we do for work. At times it's as much or even more of a determinant than our relationship with our friends or family. When we introduce ourselves to strangers one of the first things discussed is what one does for work.

You may say to yourself, "Wow, I'm a lawyer. I'm so successful. I feel great."

Or, just the opposite, "I'm 45-years-old and work at Walmart stocking shelves. I feel so ashamed."

I know people like this. And from some of the interviews I've had a chance to read in the book, others feel the same way too. It's like they've gone to university and got this degree and that degree and they expect a certain level of employment when they enter the workforce.

But, in these trying times, options are limited. You're faced with the decision of swallowing your pride and taking a job serving vanilla lattes to spoiled exchange students to earn money to put food on the table and keep a roof over your head. That, or lining up at the food bank every week and couch surfing at your friends' apartments while fretting about how to pay back your massive student loan. It can be quite the dilemma.

It's strange... but we really do seem to care about what other think of us/how they see us. It's like we need the approval of others to feel like we're of worth. Perhaps that's why fame is so sought after by some. For me, I'm not sure I can fully understand why that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment