Thursday, September 20, 2012

Open House Day


My housemate, her friend, Markus and I went to eat lunch at Echo Sushi this afternoon. It's located on the west side of Yonge, a few blocks south of Eglinton (just south of St. Louis Bar and Grill). They have all-you-can-eat sushi for $13.99 for lunch.

Markus and I got there first. Naomi came a bit later having taught her Japanese school class earlier that morning. I ordered my usual salmon nigiri and a variety of maki rolls such as the green and red dragon rolls and the rainbow roll. They have a variety of raw fish, barbecued eel and avocado and other items in them. I absolutely love sushi.

I ordered a bit too much the second round. I was able to finish it, but it took some effort. I probably could have done with one less maki roll. I guess my eyes are bigger than my stomach. It was great nevertheless.

We topped our meal off with green tea ice cream and a delicious mango pudding. I also had a piece of deep fried banana which was so-so.

Afterwards we were walking back to our place when we passed an Open House sign at the corner of Yonge and Manor Road. It was for a place on 80 Manor Road East. Curious, we decided to take a look.

As we were walking east on Manor Road we came upon another house having an open house, number 38. So we went in.

It was beautiful, both inside and out, having been recently renovated. Though approximately 1387 sq. ft. (not including the 667 sq. ft. finished basement), the 3-bedroom, 2-storey house was quite small.

One bonus was the absolutely huge, two-level deck in the backyard complete with 6 person hot tub.

80 Manor Road East was quite a bit larger. I can't remember the exact size, but I believe it was between 2000-2500 sq. ft. It also was recently renovated having been extended a significant amount out into the backyard.

While the finishes weren't as nice as number 38, it did have size going for it. The master bedroom on the second floor was quite large. As well it had a room in the converted attic with a 2-piece (toilet and sink).

The basement was also finished and, if one wanted, it could easily be converted into a legal basement apartment. Though it would take a long, long time to get your money back because this place was going for $1.6 million. That's what Markus was considering doing.

My advice to him would have been - Just buy three 2-bedroom condos for $500K a piece at the new 50-storey Menkes buildings nearby and live in one and rent the other two out. You'd probably have an easier time making your money back that way.

Anyway, these homes were beautiful, but beyond my means. It was fun to walk through them and pretend what it would be like to live in them.

No comments:

Post a Comment